Monday 9 January 2012

Home Made Beer Mustard

It's always good to make presents for people, whatever the occasion, but what should you make? (http://bit.ly/wF97UG


Mustard is an acquired taste and not everyone enjoys it. There are so many different flavours with mustard these days, however I haven't seen this one around before. 
I was made a big batch of this for a few people in my family, friends in France and also my boyfriend (drunkwriter.blogspot.com), My boyfriend is obsessed with beer and everything related and I've recently got him into the whole mustard scene so I thought I would try my luck with making a batch of Beer Mustard and see how we got on! 


I really enjoyed making this, it's the sort of thing you look at and then think 'How on Earth do you make that?!', I now know how and I can, so neh :P. 


So are you ready for it?


You will need!
175g Yellow Mustard seeds (I found these at Holland and Barret)
175g Black Mustard seeds (Brown is fine) I found these at a thai supermarket
500ml bottle of beer or ale ( I used Hobgobblin)
1 tbsp Sea Salt
Pinch of Crushed Chili Flakes
175ml Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
6 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp ground mace or nutmeg


If you do it all right it should look like this:
The method to this madness:

1. Mix the Mustard seeds and beer together in a bowl, cover and set aside for 24 hours. The mustard seeds should soak up most of the beer.

2. Sterilise the jars. Wash in very hot water, preheat oven to 160/325f/gas mark 3. Place the jars upside down on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes. 


3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, then blend in a food processor (this will take you ages) until nearly smooth (this won't happen), you may need to do this is batches.


4. Put the mustard in the jars, put on a pretty bow and instructions (usually keeps for 4 months in the fridge and is perfect with ham!), tap gently to remove air bubbles and you're done! 


I hope you enjoy making this, I felt pretty awesome when making this. It is very yummy and can be powerful! Best of luck and let me know how it goes! Try making a load for your dad! It's the sort of thing that a dad would love...


Have you ever made something that you had no idea how to make? 

No comments:

Post a Comment